talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

46 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So I am reading there are reports ten Hag didn't like the project United were presenting and is contemplating on joining. 

So if its both Poch and ten Hag unavailable, do they have a plan B?

Wtf are United telling people like Ten Hag (and Klopp before him) that they aren't eager to join Manchester United. I know with Klopp it was some sort of "Disneyland for adults" comparison that put him off...

... but if you're having a hard time telling a manager "hey come to United, you'll be paid well & you'll have lots of money to shape the squad how you like it" and managers are still hesitant... it really does beg the question, what the fuck are these managers being told?

Are they being given just a season or 2 to bring United back to glory? Because... I think that is probably what would put me off from taking this United side on if I'm a good manager who believes in myself. I think while United have bucketloads of cash to spend... it's a huge ask for any manager, regardless of talent, to turn things around for United in a year or two.

There's players who are just shit, there's players who aren't bad but they've had all their confidence sapped from them, there's players that have talent but aren't willing to put in the work to fight for hard wins... it takes managers time to sort out which players are the ones who need to be shipped out and which ones can have their confidence restored and brought back to playing football at the highest level. And not just that, it takes time to identify the right players and get them to join.

United can't just be offering a lot of money to managers, promising a transfer budget, and then saying "so you think you can win us the league in a year?" Because that's just not realistic. 

But I suspect the clowns in charge of United aren't really ready to deal with reality just yet after they've spent so much.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I doubt he ever plays in the top flight again.

If all charges are dropped, and I am not saying they will or they should, how do you stop him from playing?  He's still under contract, United never tore up the contact and I would think they couldn't  if he is not charged.  P.lus  as they say needs must. 

1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

If all charges are dropped, and I am not saying they will or they should, how do you stop him from playing?  He's still under contract, United never tore up the contact and I would think they couldn't  if he is not charged.  P.lus  as they say needs must. 

After seeing those pictures of the aftermath... I think he's already been convicted in the court of public opinion. The way they'd stop him from playing is by just keeping him out of the first team and having him train alone until his contract is up.

I know it's on a much smaller scale, both in terms of the players' talent and the size of the clubs... but David Goodwillie (btw, awful name for an alleged rapist) was never convicted of rape but found guilty of it in civil courts. He was able to keep playing for a bit, but after the recent backlash after his recent transfer... he couldn't even get to play on a loan back to the club where he'd re-established himself in professional Scottish football (even though it was the Scottish league one/two).

Even if all charges are dropped, I'm not sure it's worth the horrible PR it would be for United to have him playing again. The evidence against him that we saw and heard in the audio was compelling and while it might not be enough to get a criminal charge (but I think it will, let's not forget after his initial arrest he was subsequently arrested with further allegations of sexual assault & making threats to kill) - there's enough to where backlash against United would be tremendous if they decided to go ahead and play him.

He's not Ronaldo where people can look passed horrific allegations. Especially because the public's gotten a taste of some of the evidence against him... and it didn't look or sound like he's not a violent rapist.

Put simply, if he were out on bail for another crime... I think he'd probably still be allowed to train (and maybe even play depending on the crime that was alleged). But the club aren't letting him do that because they know how it'll look if he is charged... and even if he isn't, considering what the public heard and saw... it'll look like a rich kid gets to skirt justice because he plays for United and the club stood by him.

He's finished at United, imo, regardless of whether he's charged or not. And I doubt another top flight club is willing to give him a second chance. I can't even see a Championship willing to take a punt on him. Charge or no charge, I can't see many clubs wanting to stand by someone after the pictures and audio went public.

Honestly, I think United are probably hoping he's charged so they can sack him with no worries about what happens next. Otherwise they're either going to have to pay him to do nothing or pay him to fuck off, and I don't think they're particularly keen on that. Nor should they be.

Yeah, I think he's done as a Premier League footballer and rightly so. I remember the Goodwillie case, Raith's PR team must have been on holiday or something then. It wasn't so much shooting themselves in the foot but going full Kurt Cobain.

No Man Utd player would get in City or Liverpool's team. De Gea would get in the squad, perhaps. Ronaldo might but he wouldn't tolerate not being in the team.

If United cannot get Ten Hag (he rejects them), this will be the mother of all embarrassment and it shows that they are simply now a commercial entity with a sideline in football.

I'd like to think he'll never play in England again...but you see the case of Ronaldo and United fans ignoring a transcript of him admitting to rape. Away from rape but still on domestic abuse...Danny Simpson was convicted of beating his girlfriend and still played for Leicester during their title winning season.

There needs to be a code of conduct implemented by the Premier League imo.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I would never say never, nothing surprises me anymore. Maybe I am tainted living in North American most of my life and seeing little done to athletes over here that broke the law.   Ray Lewis and his " posse" killed a man at a Super Bowl a number of years ago and all he got was a fine by the NFL.  You could field an entire team with wife beaters, rapists and other law breakers over here.

Nobody knows what is happening behind the scenes,  if she refuses to testify, if she says they were only role playing and they are in to S&M, charges could be dropped (just playing devil's advocate here, not saying thats the case.) 

If the charges are dropped or reduced significantly he could very well play for United again.  They would drop like a hot potato thou, if their sponsors decided to walk away.

Edited by Redcanuck

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Massive boost for Norwich. 70+ thousand fans following them at Old Trafford Saturday.

Green and Yellow all over the shop.

FB_IMG_1649766320294.jpg

If they are going to protest they should protest the players,  they are the most responsible for the mess United are in.

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Reports Utd are about to offer Pogba a new long term contract making him the highest paid player in premier league history on a whopping £520k a week.

God I hope this is true. Utd just never ever learn. 

I hope not, the quicker he leaves and goes into the wild blue yonder the better. 

Seems to me by making that offer they are making a mockery of the football club and just blatantly making obvious it is all about the commercial aspect. 

If Pogba had the effect on Utd like Salah has had at Liverpool I would still think it is too much yet would understand. 

• Upvote 1

On 13/04/2022 at 10:04, LFCMadLad said:

Reports Utd are about to offer Pogba a new long term contract making him the highest paid player in premier league history on a whopping £520k a week.

I know Man U are dull bastards, but that can't surely be true.

• Upvote 1

On 13/04/2022 at 05:04, LFCMadLad said:

I think this is just recycled news.  They did offer him a new deal a year or so ago, The offer is probably still on the table. I doubt it's for £520k a week thou.