talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Maguire is so bad even ISIS who have no interest in football are targeting him.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/04/21/harry-maguire-bomb-threat-police-search-manchester-united-captains/

We can all love or hate him but bomb threats, NO, he has a partner and young kiddies and doing that is just pure shite whoever sent the threat. 

• Upvote 1

Rangnicks last press conference looked very interesting. Basically saying that the club lacks people with football intelligence in scouting, the medical team, and in recruitment. And that the players aren’t training with intensity.

It’s quite bold to basically go out and say that not just the players, but all the people you work with day-to-day aren’t good enough.

And it feels different from Mourinho, where you could dismiss everything he said as being self-preservation or reputation management. Because it’s not just that he doesn’t care about coddling or protecting the club. The important thing is that it feels like Rangnick really doesn’t care whether the press and public rate him. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Rangnicks last press conference looked very interesting. Basically saying that the club lacks people with football intelligence in scouting, the medical team, and in recruitment. And that the players aren’t training with intensity.

It’s quite bold to basically go out and say that not just the players, but all the people you work with day-to-day aren’t good enough.

And it feels different from Mourinho, where you could dismiss everything he said as being self-preservation or reputation management. Because it’s not just that he doesn’t care about coddling or protecting the club. The important thing is that it feels like Rangnick really doesn’t care whether the press and public rate him. 

With some of the players we have bought recently either the scouts are poor or they are not listened to.

Perhaps Evagate also cost us a very good health professional as we are getting more than our fair share of injuries.

On 28/04/2022 at 18:06, Dr. Gonzo said:

Does Maguire keep his place in the England side after the awful season he's had?

I don't see why he wouldn't given his previous performances for England. The same with Shaw and Pickford.

Some players just work better in different environments.

6 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I don't see why he wouldn't given his previous performances for England. The same with Shaw and Pickford.

I just worry his confidence might be seriously impacted by all the criticism he's (justifiably) received all season.

I agree that he's better for England than he is for United and the England setup does a lot to paper over some of the flaws in his game.

Matt Judge has resigned from his position as Manchester United’s head of corporate development. Judge was responsible for negotiating transfers and contracts for Manchester United.

Good news for United because this guy was obviously a fucking idiot xD

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Matt Judge has resigned from his position as Manchester United’s head of corporate development. Judge was responsible for negotiating transfers and contracts for Manchester United.

Should have gone years ago.    Paul Marshall to replace him , hopefully.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The job title doesn't match what he was responsible for. Usually director of football would do that, no? 

16 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Essentially this.

People complain about favouritism with England but Southgate has proven that if you stay consistent you will get opportunities. With that said he has also proven that if you perform well for him he will put trust in you when the public says he shouldn't. Maguire will get opportunities for England until he is shit for England, and that's when other CB's will get a look in. You only have to look towards Kane and Sterling to see how he reacts to players going through bad form, Sterling performed well for England in the Summer when he wasn't for City. Kane ended up picking up steam as the tournament went on and finished joint second top goal scorer.

If we had a tournament again this Summer both players would be guaranteed starters because they have been our best two players two tournaments in a row now. And the same is truthful for Maguire, he has been a solid and dependable centre back for two separate tournaments.

I don't really buy into this Dan Burn nonsense either, Dan Burn could barely get a look in at Brighton and now he's a better footballer than Maguire? In better form maybe, form will most likely have a jump if you get a bumper wage deal at your boyhood club that has barely any expectations on it at this point in time.

• Upvote 2

On 28/04/2022 at 18:06, Dr. Gonzo said:

Does Maguire keep his place in the England side after the awful season he's had?

He's the only one that I have a question mark over, the others should stay due to their past England performances (Pickford & Shaw) but Maguire has been that bad that I think it's a real risk putting him in.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Stan said:

The job title doesn't match what he was responsible for. Usually director of football would do that, no? 

Wouldn’t be the first time they’ve got some corporate guy in charge of football operations though.

I don’t think they have a director of football - closest thing will probably be when Rangnick’s a consultant next season

6 hours ago, Stan said:

We’ve never had a specific director of football though. It’s always been muddied water since David Gill left the club as chief exec. Fergusons brother was chief scout, reporting directly to both Ferguson and Gill who then brought in the players. Once those two step down and Woodward comes in, it’s a mish mash of cultures between a chief executive looking at the financial outcome of any deal and Matt Judge having to work within that structure. It’s funny because nothing will change with these fucking parasites in charge.

Murtough will essentially tow the company line, ETH will be given a limited budget to sign ‘brand’ players, not ones we actually need. Rinse repeat till United are either sold or sponsorship money starts to dwindle due to how utterly fucking shite we are.

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

We’ve never had a specific director of football though. It’s always been muddied water since David Gill left the club as chief exec. Fergusons brother was chief scout, reporting directly to both Ferguson and Gill who then brought in the players. Once those two step down and Woodward comes in, it’s a mish mash of cultures between a chief executive looking at the financial outcome of any deal and Matt Judge having to work within that structure. It’s funny because nothing will change with these fucking parasites in charge.

Murtough will essentially tow the company line, ETH will be given a limited budget to sign ‘brand’ players, not ones we actually need. Rinse repeat till United are either sold or sponsorship money starts to dwindle due to how utterly fucking shite we are.

That's kinda my point though mate. You've got people with that kind of title making decisions about the football team which shouldn't really be anywhere near them. Out of their remit and out of their responsibilities. 

'head of corporate development' to me is more off field decisions and living up to the dignitaries and more of a marketing team. 

Yes, although I can see his logic with the players he did pick. Although a Spurs fan, I grew up with United (my dad was a season ticket holder at United and Man U TV was always on!) so knowing their Prem history almost as well as my own club, I would have gone (assuming it has to be 4-4-2):

Schmeichel

G Neville

Stam

Ferdinand

Irwin

Ronaldo

Keane

Scholes

Giggs

Cantona

Van Niestelrooy

It's difficult and can see Keane's logic though.

I would just argue that Ferdinand and Stam are a much better balanced partnership (although hard to leave out Vidic), as brilliant as Beckham was, I would have to stick prime Ronaldo on the right because of how stacked it is up front, Keane and Scholes would be in because they were both simply better than Ince and as amazing as Robson was, he was coming to the end when the Premier League era hit and it's also hard to leave out Rooney but for utter impact in a short amount of time and literally ensuring victory in big matches so many times you cannot beat Cantona and Van Niestelrooy was a goal machine whose record was unparalleled in the time he played and him in a partnership with Cantona would be eye watering.

But Keane disagrees, he played with these players (Beckham putting in crosses for Ronaldo would get you over 30 goals a season in itself), fair enough. But that would be my United team in the Prem era.

Edited by Tar-Mairon