The better place to talk football.

Wolves 0-1 Man Utd - Sunday 29th August, 2021

football forum

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Danny said:

Having seen that, yeah should be 0-0.

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba, speaking to Sky Sports about the challenge with Ruben Neves before the goal: “I didn’t touch him. This is the Premier League, it was a 50-50, every weekend that is happening.

"We win the ball and we scored."

We always have a tough time at Wolves so I'm just glad we got the victory.

Not that concerned, we still have players bedding into the side and I expect Ronaldo to be a huge influence once he's in the side.

Defo think we need to be looking to move on a few players in the next few days as the squad is crowded and we need a midfielder.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

The authorities are definitely going to make sure Utd are challenging for the title. 

FFS man, Mike Dean hates United, for once I fell in love with him. :x  :D

Watching the highlights Neves was a silly boy for staying on his feet and then deciding to go down once he had a good look at the play going on but I am no expert like you lot, we won ugly, peace brother, love and all   :hh: 

15 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

FFS man, Mike Dean hates United, for once I fell in love with him. :x  :D

Watching the highlights Neves was a silly boy for staying on his feet and then deciding to go down once he had a good look at the play going on but I am no expert like you lot, we won ugly, peace brother, love and all   :hh: 

Yes it was a bizarre one, couldn't tell live if it was a foul yet Neves carries on running, Dean looks at him and then he falls down. 

Bad luck or unprofessional should perhaps have stayed down immediately.

Wolves were better for large parts of the game yet could not finish their moves off. 

Here’s my honest opinion on the contact……

Pogba HAS caught Neves, but he’s caught his equipment, not the actual player. However, contact isn’t always a foul and hear me out. I think he’s cleanly caught his shin guard, but not actually made actual contact with Neves. That’s why you see the guard spin round. Any player caught on the shin goes down, especially from contact that would have been made full on by Pogba. 

Neves said in his interview he didn’t react because he was waiting to the see where the ball went. That for me cements that there was contact with the pad, but not the man. Any player that is actually caught goes down, especially with a boot making contact on the shin like that. If you get contact on the shin, you’re not arsed where the ball is going after the challenge. You even see him turn, look at Dean and it’s almost as if he realises that something happened so he should go down. And even then, it’s like a hop and stop.

Is it enough to give a foul if that happens? As in contact with the protective equipment? It’s almost as if the stud had caught the edge of the material and spun it. No idea on the rules. I’d probably moan if it was a United player. 

Just my honest two cents.

Where was the outrage when Fernandes was fouled in the build up to Southampton's goal that cost us two points last week?   If United gained two points this week because of a mis call so be it,  things usually even out over the course of the season.

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

The authorities are definitely going to make sure Utd are challenging for the title. 

Yesterday in the first 30 minutes your players got away with yellow cards galore. Fabinho should have been booked 10 times over.

33 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Here’s my honest opinion on the contact……

Pogba HAS caught Neves, but he’s caught his equipment, not the actual player. However, contact isn’t always a foul and hear me out. I think he’s cleanly caught his shin guard, but not actually made actual contact with Neves. That’s why you see the guard spin round. Any player caught on the shin goes down, especially from contact that would have been made full on by Pogba. 

Neves said in his interview he didn’t react because he was waiting to the see where the ball went. That for me cements that there was contact with the pad, but not the man. Any player that is actually caught goes down, especially with a boot making contact on the shin like that. If you get contact on the shin, you’re not arsed where the ball is going after the challenge. You even see him turn, look at Dean and it’s almost as if he realises that something happened so he should go down. And even then, it’s like a hop and stop.

Is it enough to give a foul if that happens? As in contact with the protective equipment? It’s almost as if the stud had caught the edge of the material and spun it. No idea on the rules. I’d probably moan if it was a United player. 

Just my honest two cents.

Question, if a player puts their boot in the air near other players for the ball but doesn’t actually kick anyone’s head, do they still get called back for a foul? If so I think that would apply in this context too for the recklessness.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Question, if a player puts their boot in the air near other players for the ball but doesn’t actually kick anyone’s head, do they still get called back for a foul? If so I think that would apply in this context too for the recklessness.

I think they do, but the head is probably taken in a different way completely. You can nick the ball off a player mid air and it could be within a cm of the knee cap and refs wouldn’t give a shit. Heads are always protected.

• Subscriber

You may think it is or isn't a foul. However, I will not engage in any debate about how Neves was unprofessional in not going down or should have gone down. We all know that referees seem more likely to give decisions to players who go down straight away and some unconscious bias is to be expected, they're only human. However, regardless of whether Neves didn't blink, had a delayed reaction, or did a midair pirouette screeching and holding his face, whether it's a foul or not depends entirely on the actions of the player who made the challenge, especially now that we have access to video replays. If the VAR can't look at the incident again and make a judgement based off Pogba's challenge and ignore the reaction of Neves, there really isn't any point. You have to hope at the stage we're at that Neves' initial reaction to the challenge wasn't a factor in them deciding it wasn't a foul.

I know we're fighting a lost battle against diving in football, but please, it isn't rational, relevant or right to be analysing Neves' reaction for being too honest. We've seen sympathy for some players who have gone down easily in the past when they have actually been fouled because it gives them a better chance of correctly being awarded a free kick or penalty, and we've criticised players for being "too honest" and staying on their feet where they'd have won a penalty if they went down. The issue in the past was officials not giving decisions to players who stayed on their feet despite being fouled. This was the fault of officials, not players. VAR should remove the necessity for this now. I don't want to see players in Neves' situation feigning worse contact or injury than what actually happened. I want to see officials put a focus on the offence that was or wasn't committed and absolutely no focus on the reaction of the possible victim.

So if you're of the opinion that it was a foul, you should be criticising the officials, not the player for being too honest. What madness football has become that this even needs saying.

• The title was changed to Wolves 0-1 Man Utd - Sunday 29th August, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived